Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

My Organic Herbs - Basil, Sage & Mint

BASIL

I've been growing Basils since January, 2011. I first started off with Thai Basil since their seeds were the only ones I could find. I grow them in pure Vermicompost until they reach 1 month old, then i transfer them into larger pots of mixed vermicompost, compost & animal manure. The compost is from the left over leaves of vegetables I grow or cook, and the animal manure I purchase from the market (about php60 a sack).

Below, is a picture of the very first thai basil that i grew. Right now, they are 5 months old. I refer to them as the "Mother Plant" since i take all my cuttings for propagation from them.
5month Thai Basil growing in my hydroponic system


I started growing Sweet Basil in mid March. It took my a while to find the seeds for these. I had to get them shipped from Manila, but it all worked out. I got a good bunch that sprouts after 1-2 days in cotton before I put them in the vermi compost cups. So far, they're excellent! I take cuttings from then every 2 weeks and make replicas which eventually root within 5 days. I'd have to say that sweet basil is my favorite of all my herbs.


I'm absolutely amazed at hoe big their leaves can grow!

3 month old Sweet Basil


I also grow several other types of Basil such as Purple Basil & Dwarf Basil. I have to say that they are my favorite to propagate. They root so easily without any effort really. They're shorter and smaller than the Thai and Sweet basil, but they sure do make the garden pretty.

Dwarf Basil

Purple Basil

Purple Basil

Purple Basil (top), Dwarf Basil (bottom) 
Aside from my lovable basil, I also grow Sage, Dill, Mint, Tomatoes, Peppers and Tarragon.
3 month old Sage

3 month old Sage

15 day old Green pepper sprouts awaiting transplant

Propagated Aqua & Java Mint

Aqua Mint - gotta make sure they're in pots!

15 day old tomato plant 
And that ends my introduction of the plants I grow. I do sell these plants, the prices are below:

Basil Plants (sweet, purple, dwarf & Thai):
- below 1 month : php25
- 1 month : php40
- 2 month : php50
- 3 month : php80
- 4 months above: php100-150

Sage: php 80

Mint (java & aqua):
-propagated (small-medium): php40
-In pots (large): php80

Dill: 
-Medium: php50
-Large: php100

Tarragon:
-Medium: php50
-Large: php100

It's really hard to find Fresh potted herbs in Cebu. They usually sell the herbs in the supermarkets, but they're either withered or not as flavorful anymore. There are some malls that do sell the herbs, but my gosh! You will faint from their prices.

So fellow Cebuanos, If you're ever in need for cheap, fresh potted herbs in Cebu, message me at my website: http://facebook.com/The.Hydro.Garden  

21 comments:

  1. Wow I'm so glad to have found you, it is really so hard to find sellers of herbs here in Cebu. Do you still sell these? I am very interested to buy your basil, sage and mint. How should we do the transaction? Pls msg me at 09173233450

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello pwedi meet up? kay layo man kaayo amo sa opon bisag sa SM lang... please message me sa facebook https://www.facebook.com/gracious.d.fuentes thanx...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi..i hope you won't mind me asking..i bought a rosemary plant sa parkmall last week..wa pa nq na.transfer ug lain na pot..this morning i noticed small red worms sa soil..i doubt if earthworms kai is moves real fast..i remembered i bought a parsley plant before and found the same worms..and the plant died..i was wondering if harms the plant or gbutang jd nila ug tuyo..should i repot the plant?pls help..this is the third potted plant i bought..but i can't seem to grow it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    Do you have Thai Basil ?
    Let me know .

    Thanks,
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wander if you have parsley.. just pm me if you have.. =) thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Hi ,mi was wondering if you could contact me i am very interested in buying your sage plant and if ever possible to reach pampanga

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asa dapit makapalit ug animal manure nga sinako (preferably horse, cow, or chicken manure)? kanang naa ra sa Cebu City or Talisay City kay duol ra sa amo. layo man kaayo sa Asturias although naa daw dd2 daghan. Ganahan ta ko mag Vermicomposting sa amo for personal hobby lang pang Pot planting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pwede ba kayong makapagdeliver ng sage plant sa dumaguete at magkano ang shipping

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi pwede padeliver ng mga Culinary Herbs dito sa Toledo City, Cebu?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello... Im from Leyte, By any chance, Did you grow a Russian Tarragon? I have read your Price for It..
    can you send me some Info about it. heres my email add. ehMCEntuna19@gmail.com

    Hoping for your reply. Thank You.
    Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Ulyssa! just wanna ask where's your exact location in Talisay? so that i can visit and buy.Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. can i ask your cell phone # or landline.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do still have those mint plants?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can ask your location and cellphone number Sir/Maam...?...mo deliver mo ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi!

    My son needs lots of basil leaves for his research, fo you have plenty of potted basil? Maybe the “sweet basil”? We need about 3 kilos worth of basil leaves. Can i have your cp #? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Do you still sell herbs? I am very much interested in buying them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd like to know if you still sell these herbs! :)
    if you do, please message me at alyssajane.rabaya1@gmail.com
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! asa sa talisay?

    ReplyDelete