Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hydroponic Broccoli! My other experiment

Aside from tomatoes, lettuces, herbs and honey dew melons, I'm am currently giving Broccoli a try. Why? Because it's expensive! I, personally, love broccoli - but since i'm such a cheap buyer, I twitch every time i pick up a tiny broccoli flower at the grocery stores to see that they cost Php40-60! So i wanted to give myself a treat by growing it myself at home.

I've read in several articles that broccoli is a cold-type plant, that loves cool temperatures. Here in Cebu, cool temperatures are impossible to come by, not to include global warming's effects as well. However, hydroponically, it may be possible! That i have to prove! Since they are grown on water, that decreases the temperature by a bit, and since i've positioned them under my trees to get shade during the intense hours of the day, perhaps it will work.

Sprouting the broccoli took a while. And getting them to reach 2cm of height, old enough to transplant into the hydroponic system took an even longer while. In total, it took the plants 15 days in order to be big enough to live in the hydroponic system. Below are pictures of the sprouts upon the night that i transplanted them into the Hydroponic system.
15 days old Broccoli Spouts - upon transplanting into Hydroponic System.
***1st DAY IN HYDROPONIC GARDEN***


15 days old Broccoli Spouts - upon transplanting into Hydroponic System.
***1st DAY IN HYDROPONIC GARDEN***

I have been rather frantic about this experiment.I took pictures of the changes of the plants almost every 2 days. ofcourse, watched water will never boil.. haha.. But after 12 DAYS in the hydroponic system, a total of  27 days old, I gathered all the pictures and compared the differences. 

Below is a picture of the different days that i monitored the changes in growth: 


As you look closely, you CAN actually see the difference! I was rather shocked, in fact. To see such changes  so quickly was remarkable. 




I have yet to take notes on tips since this is my first time growing Hydroponic Broccoli. but at the moment, it's doing quite well. I have yet to see if it really does work or not. But hey! I've come this far. :)


'Till Next Entry!


Ulyssa

1 comment: