Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

UPDATE! 11th day of Hydroponic Melon Experiment - Hydroponic vs Traditional/Organic Gardening

As mentioned in one of my previous blogs, I am currently experimenting on Hydroponic Melons (honey new melon to be exact).

Yesterday, October 5-2011, was the 11th day of its growth from seed. I have also decided to combine this experiment with another experiment : HYDROPONIC MELON vs. TRADITIONAL/ORGANIC MELON!! Tadaa!

First of all, what is the difference?
HYDROPONICS is the method of soil-less gardening where plants are grown on water, while organic/traditional gardening is the method of growing plants in the soil with organic inputs/fertilizers.


Here is the picture i took late last night of the melon plants.

Now... when you first look at it.. you'd think "THERE's NO DIFFERENCE!"

But like one of my favorite classroom games in preliminary school, 'Spot the difference', if you look closely, you can see that the hydroponic melons have a bigger 3rd leaf and are starting to grow out their 4th leaf while the organic melons are still working on their 3rd leaf.


Here's a close up!






With this close up, you can see the difference. It may not be much of a big comparison at the moment, but when in the gardening world, one day is a BIG difference. hahaha. The hydroponic melons are growing 1 day faster at the looks of it (so far).


And this concludes my little experiment for the day. I will continue to post updates on their performance. GO GO GO HYDROPONICS! :D


'Till Next Entry!


Ulyssa

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is very informative and interesting. I am amazed at what you have accomplished. I am an American that lives part time in the Philippines (Leyte), and am fascinated with trying to grow a variety of plants. I have not had your success as nature usually prevails (heat, insects, chickens, dogs, etc). Hoping to learn more from your blog so that I may become as successful as you have become. You should have Agriculture Magazine do an article on your operations and successful business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi!! i am in bangladesh, and i am starting my own lil hydroponic garden. but i seem to be having some trouble getting my plants to grow further than the seedling. i can propagate them properly. but they die 3 or 4 days after they grow. and the stalks are very white and spindly but the leaves are nice and green. did you incur such problems? do you, perhaps, have any solution to my problem? thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete